Making the transition from primary to secondary can be a challenging time, particularly for those students with additional needs.
To make this transition as successful as possible, the following procedures are in place:
- Head of Year 7 meet with Year 6 teachers and SENCos of every primary where every student is discussed in detail
- students with additional needs are identified by primary schools and information about their needs is passed on
- students may be recommended for interventions such as literacy/numeracy, break club, lunch club, nurture group
For each student, where there are concerns regarding their transition, individual plans are agreed. These plans can include the following:
- visit with parents after school hours
- visit with primary school staff during school hours
- visit with parents during school hours
- additional day at Eskdale School before full transition day
There are additional activities which involve all Year 6 students prior to them joining Eskdale School, such as:
- PE/Games Activities
- Transition Week
- Open Days
- Open Evening
Parents are very welcome to contact the SENCO to meet and discuss their son/daughter's needs or any concerns they may have.